Monastery of St Georgios Krimnon
Also known as the Monastery of Agios Georgios Gremnon or Vrahon, the Monastery of Agios Georgios Krimnon is located at the northwestern side of the island of Zakynthos, above Navagio Beach. In fact, the monastery site offers a wonderful view of Navagio Beach and the Ionian Sea. The Monastery was founded in 1535 and throughout the years a number of ecclesiastical men would live there.
One of these men was Agios Gerasimos, the protector of Kefalonia. The stone watchtower was originally constructed to protect the area from pirate attacks. The monastery once held a library, which is now kept in the Marcian Library of Venice. The library of the monastery included the Nannian Codes. The original murals of the monastery were destroyed during different wars. One of these murals included one painted by Loukas Romanos in 1606.